If you love disney’s Finding Dory and Halloween? Why not combine the two and create a Finding Dory pumpkin carving for your next Halloween party or decoration? In this article, we will guide you through the process of carving your own Finding Dory pumpkin, from selecting the right pumpkin to the final touch-ups.
Pumpkin carving is a fun activity that has become a staple of Halloween celebrations around the world. In 2016, when Finding Dory release it become very popular among fans to create pumpkin designs of their favorite characters. Here, we will show you with step by step instruction about how to create a Finding Dory pumpkin carving that will impress your neighbours
Step-by-Step Guide To Carve a Finding Dory Pumpkin Design
1. Getting started: selecting the perfect pumpkin
The first step in creating a Finding Dory pumpkin carving is selecting the right pumpkin. You want to choose a pumpkin that is firm, symmetrical, and has a flat bottom to ensure it will stand upright. Look for a pumpkin with a smooth surface, as bumps and ridges can make carving more difficult. The size of the pumpkin depends on the design you plan to carve.
2. Gathering the tools you need
To create a Finding Dory pumpkin carving, you will need the following tools:
- A sharp knife or pumpkin carving tool
- A spoon or scoop
- A marker or pen
- Finding Dory pumpkin stencil
- Small saw or serrated knife for detailed work
- A pumpkin carving kit (optional)
- candle or battery-powered light
3. Creating the design: sketching and transferring the Finding Dory pattern
Once you have selected your pumpkin and gathered your tools, the next step is to create the design. You can find Finding Dory pumpkin carving stencils online or create your own by printing a picture of Dory or any other character you would like to carve. Trace the design onto the pumpkin using a marker or pen, ensuring that it is centered and straight.
4. Carving the pumpkin: step-by-step instructions
Once your pumpkin is ready, Now it’s time to start carving. Follow these step-by-step guide to create a perfect Finding Dory pumpkin carving:
- Cut a circular hole in the pumpkin top and remove the lid.
- Remove the seeds and flesh using a large spoon or scoop.
- Use a small saw or serrated knife to carefully cut out the outline of the design.
- Remove the cut-out pieces, being careful not to damage the remaining pumpkin.
- Continue carving until the entire design is complete.
- Smooth out any rough edges using a knife or carving tool.
5. Adding the finishing touches: lighting and preservation tips
To light up your Finding Dory pumpkin carving, you can use a candle or battery-powered light. Place the light source inside the pumpkin and replace the lid. If you want your pumpkin carving to last longer, you can coat the cut edges with petroleum jelly or a commercial pumpkin preservative spray.
Tips for taking care of your pumpkin carving
To ensure your Finding Dory pumpkin carving lasts as long as possible, follow these tips for taking care of it:
- Keep it in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- Avoid touching the carved areas as much as possible, as this can speed up decay.
- If the pumpkin starts to shrink or decay, you can use a spray bottle to mist it with water and help it last longer.
5 Best Finding Dory Pumpkin Carving Ideas
Now that we have our materials ready, let’s dive into some Finding Dory themed pumpkin carving ideas:
- Dory: Let’s start with the star of the show, Dory! You can create a Dory pumpkin by carving out her signature blue and yellow color pattern. Use a marker or pen to draw the outline of Dory’s face and fins on the pumpkin, then carefully carve around the lines with a sharp knife. You can also use a stencil to help guide your carving.
- Nemo: Another fan-favorite character from Finding Dory is Nemo. For a Nemo pumpkin, you’ll need to carve out his orange and white stripes, as well as his distinctive black and white fins. Again, you can use a stencil to help you with the details.
- Hank: Hank, the lovable septopus (a seven-legged octopus), is another great character to carve onto a pumpkin. His green and yellow color scheme is perfect for the Halloween season. To create a Hank pumpkin, start by carving out his bulbous head and large eyes, then add his tentacles using either a carving tool or by cutting out separate pieces of pumpkin and attaching them to the main pumpkin with toothpicks.
- Destiny and Bailey: Destiny, the nearsighted whale shark, and Bailey, the beluga whale with echolocation, are two characters that go hand-in-hand. For a Destiny and Bailey pumpkin, carve out two separate pumpkins, one for each character. Use blue and white paint or markers to create the details on each pumpkin.
- The Finding Dory Cast: If you want to go all out, you can create a Finding Dory cast pumpkin display. Carve out pumpkins for each of the main characters, including Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Hank, Destiny, and Bailey. Arrange them together to create a fun and festive display.